June 7, 2007

Flavored Condoms


I have two sons, ages 13 and 12. Two sons as different as night and day.

My twelve year old is learning about puberty in school—And not just male puberty, but females as well. As a romance author, I don’t have a problem with this. I believe that when it comes to sexuality and more specifically sex in this day and age, ignorance is NOT bliss.

No, this post is not about sex education in school. But I am very open about sexuality and my children know they can come to me with their questions and I will answer them as honestly as possible. Let me tell you, a few days ago I was questioning my decision when my youngest came to me with a question.

Why? Well, this was his question:

“Mom, is there really such a thing as flavored condoms?”

“Yes, there is.”

“Why? What’s the point?”

“Ummm…”

I was a bit perplexed about how I was going to explain flavored condoms to a child that still thinks kissing is disgusting. Picture it, I’m sitting there, stuttering, frantically running explanations through my mind and trying to decide the best way to explain this.

I’m happy to say I survived, after a few shudders and a heart felt ‘Gross!’ my son survived, and now has more information than he ever wanted. LOL

2 comments:

Maddie James said...

Oh Sarah. That so much reminds me of my then 7 year old daughter wanting to know what sex was. She'd heard about it on the bus. So, I explained, in very broad terms, talking about babies being born, etc., and she looked at me and said. "So, you've had sex twice?" (she has one brother)

And I confidently looked at her and replied. "yes."

Kids. They are real jewels, aren't they?

maddie

JT said...

Snort. Gotta love kids.